[SOLVED] Graphics corruption after kernel update / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux 32 Forums

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-29 23:16:51

eugen-b

[SOLVED] Graphics corruption after kernel update

Hello!
I've updated my Asus EeePC 1001HA an hour ago after a longer pause.Then I tried to boot with the updated kernel 4.13.9-1 and got a screen corruption in TTY already and also in LightDM. Then I booted with linux-ck-atom which I installed from repo-ck before and it booted ok. Then I upgraded linux-ck-atom to 4.13.10-1 and got the same screen corruption. I logged in in LightDM "blindly" and only the right quarter of the screen works. Here are two photos:

in TTY
screen_corruption_in_TTY.jpg

in X
screen_corruption_in_X.jpg

I could fix it with a live USB now, or edit Grub to boot the btrfs snapshot I made before the update. So the urgency is only for the general public if it is not an issue with my hardware only.

Last edited by eugen-b (2017-10-31 11:37:20)

#2 2017-10-30 12:28:53

deep42thought
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Graphics corruption after kernel update

Does downgrading the kernel (and firmware, ...) resolve the bug?
If so, then this sounds like a kernel bug. - You should search for it and if it's unknown to upstream, open a bugreport to help fixing it in a future version.

#3 2017-10-30 23:15:26

eugen-b

Some progress: I installed linux-lts per arch-chroot and with linux-lts the netbook boots fine.

I will try to find out more...

Update: I used downgrade and went through all 4.13 series kernels and the all behave the same. It boots fine with 4.12.13-1 again.

Last edited by eugen-b (2017-10-31 00:25:37)

#4 2017-10-31 01:13:17

Spinal

I got it working without downgrading the kernel.
Edit the grub file and comment the following entry;
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
Then rebuild the grub

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Reboot and enjoy
I was going to settle for running lts but this works for my setup no issues at all.

Let me know if it works for you.

#5 2017-10-31 07:53:12

PS0

#6 2017-10-31 11:38:24

eugen-b

Spinal wrote:

I got it working without downgrading the kernel.
Edit the grub file and comment the following entry;
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
Then rebuild the grub

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Reboot and enjoy
I was going to settle for running lts but this works for my setup no issues at all.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thank you! That solved it for me, now I can boot linux 4.13 and linux-ck-atom without issues.

#7 2017-12-27 12:02:36

redqueen

Had the same problem on my EeePC 1000H, after editing that line it started, but my Plasma install didn't work. I have only a black desktop with the cursor.
I think I have to reinstall it now.

BTW Is there any chance for optimized Kernels in archlinux32?

@eugen-b: What DE do you use?

#8 2018-01-05 07:54:18

redqueen

There is a new Intel driver in the official repo, hope it will added in archlinux32 soon.

It also works for me if I change GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX from "keep" to "text".

#9 2018-01-06 21:52:14

eugen-b

redqueen wrote:

Had the same problem on my EeePC 1000H, after editing that line it started, but my Plasma install didn't work. I have only a black desktop with the cursor.
I think I have to reinstall it now.

BTW Is there any chance for optimized Kernels in archlinux32?

@eugen-b: What DE do you use?

In Plasma you need to edit ~/.config/kwinrc -> OpenGLIsUnsafe=true
But Plasma is no fun with all eye candy disabled. At least not on my EeePC 1001HA.

There used to be optimized linux-ck-atom from repo-ck.com , but they dropped it with the drop of i686 packages.
You would need to compile your kernel yourself and enable -march=native and/or -mtune=native in /etc/makepkg.conf.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma … d_binaries (I recommend to use ccache https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ccache )
It is also possible to edit the kernel configuration and remove all hardware stuff you don't need, but it is easily possible to remove too much, since you need to look up all the cryptic hardware abbreviation.
But I'm using the non-optimized kernels since the frop of linux-ck-atom and don't _notice_ any difference in performance.

On archlinux32 I use MATE with mate-netbook mode (screenshot, I adjusted the theme, will post a newer one when I get to it.)

On manjaro32 I use bspwm and LXDE-gtk3.

Last edited by eugen-b (2018-01-06 22:02:53)

#10 2018-01-08 11:27:55

redqueen

Thanks for your answer.

This helps me a lot. I have modified the EeePC a little. It has now 2 GB Ram and an 256GB SSD. Works almost slient.
Will try Mate on it too. But seems it hasn't updated for ages.

#11 2018-01-19 12:54:26

eee-on-fire

This is not a kernel issue by itself but a grub issue that is triggered by the ‘fixed’ kernels of the 4.13/4.14 series, both in Mint and Manjaro:
In a nutshell: If you want to boot a ‘fixed’ kernel of the 4.13 or 4.14 series via the 2 top lines of your grub it will glitch, both on Mint and on Manjaro.

On a multi-boot system (2 Mint, 1 Manjaro (intel-ucode removed) whatever OS is in charge of grub will glitch when one of the ‘fixed’ kernels is booted (4.13.0-26 on Mint, 4.14.13-1 on Manjaro). Booting the ‘fixed’ kernels further down the grub menu works fine.

If I then sudo grub-install /dev/sda from there, the error shifts to the new OS in control of grub, allowing both of the others to boot without problem, including the one that glitched when in control of grub.

- clicks on the black bit are ‘getting through’ to windows below, mouse-overs of windows below are visible on cursor icon status changes, if you open a terminal via keyboard you can ‘feel’ your way to the title bar, drag it into the 20% and use it
- if you remote desktop into your glitched machine there is no glitch

Also, the glitch is ‘fixable’ from within the glitched system:

I use a script to change my eee-pc resolution on the fly, ‘newrez’ https://www.linux-apps.com/content/show … nt=1346861
    - place newrez.sh where you can see it, the 20% strip
    - run it, either reloading default or switching to a different res
    - and the glitch is gone!

If I set the ‘newrez to default’ command to run at startup I can use the machine normally.

Last edited by eee-on-fire (2018-01-19 13:05:34)

Board footer