BIOS not recognizing Arch32 install as bootable / Installation / Arch Linux 32 Forums

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-22 02:34:41

dumbcommoguy

BIOS not recognizing Arch32 install as bootable

Hello all,

I have recently installed Arch32 on an older education oriented tower, base and base-devel complete with the MATE desktop environment and gdm desktop manager. Every time I go to boot into the system, the bios fails to recognize there is a bootable partition on the main hard drive. I have used the Gparted live CD to post the boot, bios-grub, and legacy-boot flags on the partition, but to no avail. Has anyone else encountered this issue before?

Thanks in advance

--EDIT 1--
I am working on an old E-machines EL1200 with the following specs:
AMD Athlon 2650e Processor
1Gb RAM
160GB HDD

Looking into the hardware explorer on the liveCD, it shows that there is no boot flag on the sda1 partition

Last edited by dumbcommoguy (2018-01-22 02:43:09)

-DCG

#2 2018-01-22 05:41:26

deep42thought
Administrator

Re: BIOS not recognizing Arch32 install as bootable

dumbcommoguy wrote:

Looking into the hardware explorer on the liveCD, it shows that there is no boot flag on the sda1 partition

This is required AFAIK.
Use fdisk or any partition manager you like to set the boot flag. (I'm assuming sda1 holds your arch - or /boot in case of a separate partition for that)

#3 2018-01-22 12:43:01

dumbcommoguy

Re: BIOS not recognizing Arch32 install as bootable

Yes, it is required. I checked the hardware explorer after using the Gparted LiveCD to post the flags to sda1 post-installation. I was using a GPT table without a BIOS-GRUB partition, so I went back and changed to a DOS MBR and that fixed the issue. Thank you, my bad. I was going off of a video tutorial on how to install and tried to use a GPT without consulting the wiki.

-DCG

Board footer