Dies ist der Cache von Google von https://bbs.archlinux32.org/viewtopic.php?id=87. Es handelt sich dabei um ein Abbild der Seite, wie diese am 6. Sept. 2019 21:01:24 GMT angezeigt wurde. Die aktuelle Seite sieht mittlerweile eventuell anders aus. Weitere Informationen.
Vollständige VersionNur-Text-VersionQuelle anzeigen
Tipp: Um deinen Suchbegriff schnell auf dieser Seite zu finden, drücke Strg+F bzw. ⌘-F (Mac) und verwende die Suchleiste.
What happens to my current programs after migration to Archlinux32: / Installation / Arch Linux 32 Forums

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-29 22:19:21

mocambo

What happens to my current programs after migration to Archlinux32:

Hi !

Currently I'm using Manjaro. It is still unclear to me, what exactly happens to my current programs after replacing repositories and performing full update. Does my programs upgrade, downgrade or stay intact ? I know that repostitories don't overlap, so for example does pacman remove existing programs that do not exist in Archlinux32 repo ?

Thank you in advance !

#2 2017-09-30 13:23:34

andreas_baumann
Administrator
Website

Re: What happens to my current programs after migration to Archlinux32:

Mmh. Hard to tell. I just tried an update of an i686 ISO with XFCE Manjaro 17.0.5.

I was able to replace the mirrorlist and do an update to archlinux32, but:
- currently Archlinux32 packages are newer than in the latest Manjaro release,
  so this results more in a Manjaro Development release (which seems to work
  because most thinks are backwards compatible)
- The core/extra/community packages come from different mirrors, as I see
  also Manjaro specific packages are in those repos. I personally think having
  them in a separate [manjaro] repository is better, but on the other hand there
  are most likely adaptions to packages in core/extra/community.

So I fear very soon packages would disagree on ABIs and your Manjaro installation
will break.

I think, the first step is to wait whether Archlinux32 takes off. If yes, maybe some
Manjaro (and other Arch-based distros) will get a 32-bit support too using the Archlinux32
packages.

I personally would not update a non-Vanilla i686-Archlinux to Archlinux32 unless:
- this distro didn't modify core/extra/community and takes the Archlinux-i686
  packages
- adds only stuff to Archlinux using their own repositories
- has roughly the same versions of packages

Manjaro, it seems, uses the same core/extra/community package names with
modified packages, so it doesn't belong to that class of Arch-based distros, I think.

Any other thoughts?

#3 2017-10-03 19:07:18

mocambo

Thanks Andreas, your reply was promising.

The most important to me was, that after performing new mirrors / full update the core of the machine still boots up and brings Xfce session to the display. This means that Achlinux32 is already almost ready to serve transitions. In one point i will do it as well.

#4 2017-11-18 17:54:28

andreas_baumann
Administrator
Website

See https://manjaro32.org/. In the meantime they resurrected a 32-bit version of Manjaro based on Archlinux32.
Didn't try myself yet, but I will. :-)

Board footer